WHAT HOSIERY TO RECOMMEND?
Support hosiery are designed on circular knitting machines utilizing spandex and the highest quality nylon available. Medically correct support hosiery can be manufactured in several size ranges small, medium, large, and extra large. Ready-made styles of support hosiery are available in moderate, firm, and high compression. Moderate support will deliver 10-20mm Hg compression at the ankle; firm support will deliver 20-30mm Hg; and heavy support 30-40 and 40-50mm Hg.
Compression measurements are represented by how much pressure is required to elevate mercury (Hg) a certain distance as measured in millimetres (mm).
WHAT COMPRESSION LEVEL IS NEEDED?
The following recommended indications generally apply to the compression levels available from quality ready-made elastic support products:
10-20mm Hg compression
• Relief from mild degrees of tired, aching legs.
• Relief from slight ankle swelling due to extended periods of standing or sitting.
• Relief from mild varicosities during pregnancy.
• Control of mild leg swelling after cast removal.
20-30mm Hg compression
• Relief from chronic tired, aching legs.
• Relief from chronic ankle swelling due to extended periods of standing or sitting.
• Relief from painful varicosities during pregnancy.
• Prophylaxis of clotting (thrombosis) after uncomplicated vein stripping.
• Reversible mild lymphedema.
• To assist fluid dynamics.
• Prevention and treatment of mild post phlebetic syndrome.
• Control of pronounced leg swelling after cast removal.
30-40 and 40-50mm Hg
• Relief from pronounced ankle swelling due to circulatory deficiency.
• Relief from severe varicosities during pregnancy.
• Prophylaxis of anticipated thrombosis (due to client's history) after vein stripping.
• Chronic venous insufficiency.
• Reversible severe lymphedema.
• Prophylaxis and treatment of severe post phlebetic syndrome.
• Control of severe leg swelling after cast removal.
T.E.D. ANTI-EMBOLISM STOCKINGS
• Reduces the possibilities of pulmonar) embolism.
• Specifically designed to speed blood flow by providing graduated compression from the ankle to below the knee.
• Manufactured under the most rigid quality control inspections to assure the precise pressure necessary to discourage thrombus formations.
• Anti-embolic stockings are designed for the treatment of the recumbent patient.